Friday, July 3, 2009

Over the course of our five week summer session I noticed my compositional ability to expand. More than ever I found that early organization can be hugely beneficial in constructing just about every writing type. Free writing in blog posts, in class exercises, and even to some degree in reading responses allows a person to purge all thoughts and then a bit of arranging produces a thorough work product. Marc made sure to emphasize the finer points of argumentation, it really does not matter what you are attempting to argue, or even where you stand on the issue, if you argue the matter efficiently, you will never be wrong. Sentence composition, word usage, proper punctuation were all areas I noticed some improvement as well. It seems that a semi-broad instructional course is about the only way to diagnose areas needing improvement for early college level students. Again, Marc used this type of structure to assist students in their general composition abilities and also focused much on refining particular aspects of each students writing. If a student were unable to construct a proper paragraph about why they consider a university education to be important, after taking Marc's English 111 course they sure would hard pressed still lack the ability, (given that the student attended class regularly and actually participated, I think this was the case with most). I will continue to further my education, but now I have gathered many useful tools which will help tremendously in just about every area of instruction. I feel confident in my writing abilities, more so now than at the beginning of the summer indefinitely. What I would really like is to have some time this summer to do a bit of reading for pleasure, it's not likely but I can still hope right? It is very random and quite out of place here, but my favoritist favorite author is Larry McMurtry, I will always cherish his abilities as a writer and be thankful for the education I've gained through reading his works. This also goes for what I've learned this summer in Marc's Eng. 111 course--valuable stuff I say!

1 comment: