Monday, June 8, 2009

Algae is super!

A fantastically interesting development was brought to my attention a couple of months back, just recently I did a bit of research and was surprised by what I learned about algae as a source of fuel.
This new technology has several word forms, my personal favorite being oilgae, followed closely by algaeoleum, lol. Anyhow, the process of creating alternative fuel, primarily for use in combustion engines is as one could imagine quite complex. For the sake of not wasting more words or silly sounding research statements than is neccessary, we'll break it down like this: biofuels have tremendous potential to supplement and even replace fossil fuels which are basically being depleted in front of us daily and in turn depleting the atmospheric conditions we have come to enjoy. Secondly, biofuels are costly to produce, but give me one example how oil is not...? Sustainibility is the main point here, imagine producing a fuel that is created through photosynthesis, they did and they continue exploring these fantastic concepts. Algae bio-fuel is lower on the totem pole just yet but increasing interest and funding have allowed several companies to develop more efficient strains of algae, also refining the refining process. Algae if given appropriate consideration, has the potential to be far more efficient in terms of production and usefullness than ethanol or battery cell power. I'm on board, let us all be interested in waste water farming shall we?

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I can just see vast rows of algae farms. Good work!
    m

    ReplyDelete