Thursday, June 11, 2009

And it stoned me to my soul....

Recently something was brought to my attention, rather forthright. It would likely have smacked me around some had it not been an inanimate object. This simple poster stared me down and reminded me of some things I knew but had yet to consider, and a thing or two in which I had not given much thought and really didn't know. This insightful and somewhat intimidating poster contained real photos of five different animals, each being closely connected to the other, but all somewhat dependent on just one-- none other than the black-tailed prairie dog. The arguable little critter is what we consider a keystone animal; but what the heck is that? Keystone species, often predatory, though not in this case, are animals who have a tremendous impact on the reproduction rates and overall fitness of more than one other organism. The black-tailed prairie dog typically inhabits an area around the size of one acre, sharing this area with multiple colony members, sometimes upwards of fifty. Such an inhabited area is commonly known as a town, cute right? Those are all things I've been well aware of since I was knee high to a grasshopper, right on. The keystone species status of prairie dogs though, now why might that be? In many personal experiences I have observed burrowing owls, which are seriously cute little critters, (really, they're fantastic) residing in and around prairie dog towns. Prairie dogs are very skilled tunnelers, they might actually have the potential to dig to China, unlike myself who often tried to when I was a wee lad. Anyhew, I have also observed black-footed ferrets in and around dog-towns. Black-footed ferrets are endangered and love spending time in prairie dog towns because they are mostly carnivorous and PD's are tasty (so they say). I'm betting you can hardly wait to find out who else was depicted on the poster I was nearly wooped by... no, well read on. Desert snakes and lizards find PD towns to be greatly useful too! Shelter and food are abundant for such herp' species. My tied for favorite creature on this poster was a kit fox, poor little fella is also endangered. You see, at one time all predators were considered the worst of ill creatures, regardless of size or state. Golden eagles were exterminated by gov't employees. Today, many people still have similar sentiments in regard to predators; but they're retarded so no biggy. The point I'm perhaps, somehow making is that many species, 2 already endangered, benefit from the mere existence of prairie dog colonization. This certainly does not change my stance or proposed topic but, it is tremendously interesting stuff. The fuzzy wuzzy little prairie dogs definately have there place(s) here in the world, but those places needn't be our places- if nothing else think of it this way: All the aforementioned species interacting with PD's are at far greater risk the nearer they are to human settlement.

1 comment:

  1. Something I thought about as i read your entry is how we use language to describe objects and how those descriptions carry some baggage. Calling a colony of PDs "towns" makes people connect them to people...but if you were to use the term "nests" the connotation is completely different. Great work, Tyler.
    m

    ReplyDelete