Thursday, June 4, 2009

Topic proposal eh? I'm certainly planning to chose a topic related to environmental issues, however; I'm unsure which avenue should be pursued. Natural resource sustainibility, wildlife concerns, habitat infringement, community awareness, the impacts of expansion in society, these are all things I readily consider but choosing just one to compose an argument about is a whole different beast. Several close-to-home issues are currently winning the race, but I'm not ready to declare an all out winner just yet.
My past experience in writing has mostly been developed through personal journalisitic endeavors. I pride myself on using an ever expanding vocabulary, limiting slang terms to comical situations, and crazy as it sounds, sending grammatically correct text messages. During the fall semester last year I had the opportunity to write a research paper on a wide list of topics relating to anthropology. The final paper was required to be seven pages, my final draft was around eleven. By choosing natural selection as a formulative subject I was able to define my understanding, my view of the process in action, and also my theory of the process's implications. Of course much research went in to the history and current theory of natural selection, but by choosing a topic I was personally interested in, though not fully knowledgeable about, the words, research and formulation came fairly easy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the text message thing...I never got around to using u for you. Call me old fashioned. Tyler, I think anything you choose for the paper will turn out great...just make it useful for you. If you know people in the field you want to be in, ask them about important topics you should know more about and maybe work something on that end. The issue you discussed in class would be great. Hold on to this essay...if you want to enter graduate school at some point, you'll likely need a writing sample. Great work!
    Marc

    10/10

    ReplyDelete